Thursday, October 4, 2012

#106: Telling You What He'd Do...


Did you watch the presidential debate last night? Chances are that Dad did. And while you remained confused as to what was actually being said, Dad was being stating what he would do:

“If I were president, I would be doing such a better job!” No matter if Dad likes or dislikes the current president, He guarantees he would do a better job. But in true political fashion, Dad doesn’t say what he would do. But that doesn’t prevent Dad from sharing his opinion. 

Much like a Monday morning quarterback, Dad appears wisest when sharing what he’d do in hindsight. “Well what I would’ve done…” “If I had been in your position…” are muttered over black coffee & bran cereal. It is this very Dad nature that makes us turn to Dad for advice. It is the reason his dinner time questions and idioms blow our minds and clarify life lessons without saying anything at all.

Dad doesn’t reserve telling you what he’d do for when you ask, rather he’ll impose his way of thinking before you even realize it. Dad is the coach you never asked for, making Dear Abbey useless. “I’d doubleknot those shoes if I were you.” ”I would’ve stretched more…” “I’d give your mother a kiss if I were you.” “I’d apologize to your teacher if I were you.” Guess what Dad? You’re not me. But always take Dad’s suggestions to heart before dismissing it, because Dad often has a point--He's already done it once when He was your age.

No comments:

Post a Comment